Today we kick-off FAIRTRADE WEEK, the much anticipated premier annual campaign of Fairtrade. This year’s theme – THE POWER OF THE MANY – celebrates Fairtrade’s powerful partnerships with African producers, businesses, institutions and consumers. Only through collaboration we can unlock the power of equality and sustainability in Africa!
7 REASONS TO CELEBRATE FAIRTRADE WEEK
(2) When you buy a Fairtrade product, part of the price you pay in the shop is reinvested in healthcare, education and community development projects. For this community in the Breede River Valley, Fairtrade translated into a beautiful, colourful creche for their children, into empowerment of women and into a great opportunity for Pedro’s son to finish his degree in Information Systems Engineering.
(3) You are keeping it local! From small-scale rooibos communities in Wupperthal and farm workers in Stellenbosch, to smallholder coffee farmers in Tanzania, you choosing Fairtrade is making Africa more equal and sustainable.
(4) You are helping maintain South Africa’s position as the Fairtrade emerging economy model. …and keeping Mzansi in the spotlight shows global superpowers how incredible our country is.
(5) It’s an excuse to drink more wine. Did you know that South Africa is the Number 1 producer of Fairtrade wine in the world?
(6) Fairtrade is one of the top ten most desirable brands. Millions of consumers across the globe, from the UK and Germany to Brazil and India, choose Fairtrade products every day. Be part of this international movement in support of the people that grow our food.
(7) You are supporting sustainable agricultural practices in South Africa and the world around. In the wise words of Terry Swearingen, winner of the Goldman Environmental Prize, “We are living on the planet as if we have another one to go to.”.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Wednesday 12 March
Sustainable consumption in South Africa is discussed at the 3rd Fairtrade Business Brunch in association with Nielsen and Pick n Pay. View the full programme. Few seats still available – RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Wellness Warehouse voucher worth R500
Fairtrade Label South Africa is the local marketing organisation for Fairtrade and we are a member of Fairtrade International since April 2009. Our aim is to increase the awareness of Fairtrade in South Africa and to develop the local market for Fairtrade products, with a special focus on local and African goods. We are a non-profit and non-governmental organisation (NGO).
Click here to learn more about what we do, or visit our product page to see what Fairtrade products are available in South Africa. If you’d like to use Fairtrade coffee in your office and become a Fairtrade at Work partner click here.
Fairtrade – for a more equal and sustainable Africa